Top Ten Tuesday is a fun weekly meme, hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. Everyone is welcome to join in the fun.
This week’s prompt is a love freebie, which is always a tricky one for me, as I’m not a big reader of romance. I’m just not particularly interested in romance in books as an acespec reader. Last year, I did a “books with love or heart in the title.” Now, had I been thinking ahead, I would have only done five for each, and left myself with the space to write another this year, rather than doing 10 of each.
So this year, I eventually decided to spotlight fantasy or sci-fi romances that I rated 4 stars or higher.
Of course, everyone’s criteria for what classes as fantasy/sci-fi romance are different, so these are mine:
- The main plot/focus of the book is the romance. Other stuff can be happening (and rather has to for me to read it!) but the book’s “point” is the romance – everything else is happening around the romance, often setting up scenes for romance tropes.
- Contains a HEA/HFN (happily every after/happily for now.) Some people will want some sort of happy romance resolution at the end of every book in a series, but when it comes to series, as long as there is/I know that there will be (from talking to the author) a HEA/HFN by the end of the series, I count it. I don’t mind a break-up at the end of the book if I know it’ll be resolved next book.
I was initially surprised – and then realised that was silly in hindsight! – to discover that there are more Adult than YA titles meeting these criteria and also getting 4+ stars
- BONE CRIER’S MOON, by Kathryn Purdie
- THE BEHOLDER, by Anna Bright
- SERPENT AND DOVE, by Shelby Mahurin
- HIDDEN HUNTRESS, by Danielle L. Jensen
- A MARVELLOUS LIGHT, by Freya Marske
- WINTER’S ORBIT, by Everina Maxwell
- THE BRIDGE KINGDOM, by Danielle L. Jensen
- BLOODFLOWER, by K. J. Harrowick
- THE MIDNIGHT BARGAIN, by C. L. Polk
- THE BEAUTIFUL ONES, by Silvia Moreno Garcia
- CAMBIARE, by Avery Ames
What fantasy and sci-fi romances have you enjoyed?